Thursday, March 30, 2017

Keto...Is it the Way to Go?

I have been really frustrated lately. I had done well losing 30 pounds but then it all came back and thensome because yet again, I failed. My relationship with food is awful and needs to change. I understand this, I have to come to terms with this, I have to change this. I want to go all full steam ahead but I know that this is not a process to be rushed or to just jump into without a safety net. One step at a time.

One of my friends suggested a Keto/Low Carb/High Fat "diet". I use the term diet loosely because it's not really a diet, it's a lifestyle change. It would be a big change in how I eat because I am all about the carbs. Pizza, tacos, sugar, you name it. I am going to have to really think about what I am eating and view everything as a carb monster ready to attack my body.

First thing's first...gather recipes that involve food I will actually eat. I only eat chicken and turkey and on a rare occasion, some red meat. Poultry is high in protein and extremely low in carbs. I enjoy pepperoni and turkey bacon too and those are both either carb-free or low carb as well.

So now that I have the meat portion down I need to figure out what to dress it with so I am not having the same old boring thing every night. Tonight I made turkey chops in the crockpot with lemongrass and coconut oil and it was delicious. I have never used either of those ingredients before but they really made a nice flavor. Saturday I am making a pepperoni and mozzarella stuffed turkey tenderloin with veggies on the side. The trick there is to find a marinara sauce that is not loaded with sugar and carbs. I may have to buy a small food processor so I can make my own.

I am going to ignore exercise at this point and not try to jump into that too. One step at a time. I don't want to overwhelm myself with huge changes because that is going to hurt more than it will help. First fix the food relationship, then fix my lack of exercise.

The hardest part that I am going to have is staying away from the things that I love like ice cream, pizza (although there are alternatives to that), and other sweet foods. I also have to remember that a cheat day is allowed and will not completely destroy my progress.

Next I am going to need to figure out how to get more water into my system. I am lucky if I have more than 40 ounces per week when I should be having twice that at least every day. I just don't like drinking anything throughout my day for some reason. That needs to be fixed. Drinking water is a huge part of losing weight and regulating when goes into my body.

So I guess we shall see. I am sure that I will fail and fall off the wagon multiple times. I just have to find something that will work for me because I am tired of getting bigger and bigger. Enough is enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment