Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Setback? Hardly...

I had an appointment today at the doctor's to check out my knee. It has been hurting me for a while now when I go down or up stairs, walk up a hill, or put all of my weight on it. Walking normally is fine, but if I bend it too much or do something like stationary biking, it starts to hurt. So I got an x-ray done. I have a very small tear in my ACL. Fortunately at the moment I do not need surgery. However if I do not take it easy and let it heal, I will. She recommended that I not do anything high impact such as jogging or running, no high intensity biking (but light biking with low resistance is okay). I can still walk on the treadmill and lift my weights so it is not going to stop me from going to the gym, I just have to be careful with what I do with it.

Yesterday I had set a goal for myself of:

5 miles on the bike
1 mile on the treadmill
30 reps each on the weight machines

I did not completely make my goal but came pretty close. I ended up with:

4.15 miles on the bike
.6 miles on the treadmill

However with the weights, I did 30 reps each but on every single machine bumped up the weight by at least one set (ex normally do 15lbs, did 30 instead). There is one machine where you grab the handles above your head and pull the weights down...I like that one. I managed to do 60 pounds on that one. Did 80 on the leg press, 30 on the leg curls, 45 on the rowing, 30 on one where you push the handles away from you, 30 on both tricep machines, 30 on another upper body one, and 75 on an ab machine. All in all a lot heavier lifting than I usually do and I was sweating, but it felt good. A little sore this morning, but nothing too bad.

I wasn't planning on going to the gym today, but became so frustrated with things that it was necessary to go on lunch. I did 3.1 miles on the bike and half a mile on the treadmill at 3.0 mph. I didn't do the weights because I know the muscles need to rest.

Tomorrow I am setting a goal of:

4 miles on the bike (on easy resistance)
.5 miles on the treadmill
30 reps each on the weight machines
.5 miles on the treadmill to end things

I like being able to go to the gym after I drop Cody off with Steve because I don't feel as rushed to get things done and can take my time and really get a good workout in.

So that is a long-winded account of the last couple of days!

I am going to be starting to take photos soon of myself so that I can do before and after photos as I feel like I am losing some inches at this point but since I am not losing weight I can't really tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment